Saturday, December 26, 2009

Barbara Liskov talk and vintage photo

Few days earlier I was happy to see this talk given by Barbara Liskov:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/liskov-power-of-abstraction

Few days earlier I submitted a paper to ESWC10 ( found here , titled "Flexible Ranking and Matchmaking for Semantic Service Discovery"), which happened to include a reference to Liskov and her well known substitution principle (the bottom side of the 3rd page).

It was not a big deal, just "common sense" reiterated. As you will notice from the talk above, though, at the 70ies this kind of "common sense" we take for granted today, was debatable and unclear then -- just as debatable was whether the goto statement was evil or not!

One thing that impressed me most in that talk was a photo that Barbara shared with the audience, from the 70ies. I had never saw her young!



I will leave the photo uncommented - it speaks for itself. -edit: well, I commented it after all, see below :)

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed her talk.

    She doesn't wear glasses anymore! How exactly does the photo speak for itself?

    Also, would you consider using English as the main language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, at least to me it has a profound effect to see people whom I respect at their youth. I wasn't yet born at the time of the photo. It travels me back to a time where CS as a discipline was young itself, and everything was mysterious and exciting - can't you feel them, in the picture, breathing the air of opportunity?

    Now it seems much, much more difficult to have such a dramatic impact on CS in general, than it was in its infancy. Hordes of people are in it, each one elaborating at his/her own kind of niche research, modulo few exceptions.

    Also, note how confident a researcher she looks, even the dress reveals her confidence. Quite inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also: thanks for the suggestion to switch language - I thought that it was a localization thing, and Greek only appeared to me :)

    ReplyDelete